Tuesday, January 10, 2023

glock g17m

Glock G17m - Although the concept of the polymer percussion pistol did not originate with Glock, it was the company that brought it into the mainstream with great success. Since then, they have attributed the design philosophy to "evolution, not revolution." Each new generation has minor changes and adjustments, but the main idea remains the same. My department recently issued me a brand new Glock 17M. The 17M is the most recent iteration of Glock's successful 9mm and is identical to the commercial version of the pistol - the Glock 17 Gen 5. I found that while Glock stayed true to their design philosophy, the changes they made are real improvements and not just cosmetic changes.

Before I continue, I must share a brief history of my relationship with Glux. Before LEO training, I had never held a polymer pistol, let alone shot it. In the army, the only weapon I used was a Beretta M9. As a pie-eating citizen during the Clinton assault-prohibition years, when magazines holding more than 10 rounds became... expensive, I carried either a 1911 or a revolver, but the 1911 was the platform I had the most with. experience. Then came the Police Academy, where I was issued a Gen 2 Glock 22 with a NY-1 trigger. It was so dirty and weird that I thought something was wrong inside the gun and was embarrassed when I told the instructor that he thought my gun needed maintenance. He took it and shot it and told me that's what they're supposed to feel like. Not a great start.

Glock G17m

Glock G17m

Since then I've been given a Gen 3, then a Gen 4 Glock 22 with the stock trigger. I prefer the Gen 2 in most ways because the Gen 3 and 4 finger grooves don't fit my fingers, but either way, I've never been completely comfortable with the Glock in general. I guess you could say I've always liked the concept of the Glock but not the execution. I appreciate the simplicity of the weapon and I appreciate the idea of ​​a backup weapon that can accept the same magazines as a main secondary weapon. The cost is reasonable, and the reliability and ease of maintenance make them an easy gun to own. I just didn't shoot the Glock 22 as well as the Sig P226 and the P226 didn't blister me so when given the choice I chose to carry the Sig.

The Unobtainable Fbi Glock 17m Is Now Obtainable

So, with the understanding that I'm not a "fan" or a "hater", let's dig into the actual 17M review.

A magazine fed gun isn't very good without the magazines, and there are a few changes to the new Gen 5 magazines that come with my 17M. The most obvious is that Gen 5 magazines have an orange follower. I'm not sure what the benefit of a high visibility follower is on a pistol magazine, but it makes it easy to tell a Gen 5 magazine from older magazines at a glance. Note that older generation magazines work fine in Gen 5 pistols, except those made before the replaceable magazine release was implemented, which will not work with a left-handed configuration. The magazine body does not appear to have changed and the capacity remains 17 rounds.

The most functional difference is a slightly longer base pad, which combined with a cutout at the front of the pistol grip, makes it easier to open a jammed magazine. The holes are accurate and all three of my magazines work as expected.

On the gun itself, the first thing that excited me was the lack of finger grooves. For those of us who have hands that don't match the slots and policy doesn't allow us to modify the weapon, this makes a world of difference. Not only is it more comfortable, but it promotes a better and more secure grip. The grip texture is probably in the Goldilocks zone for most customers for its roughness, but that's my only complaint with the 17M. I prefer a more aggressive texture as it started to feel a bit mushy once I sweated. Of course, there are plenty of wicking options for those who want a thicker texture and are not bound by a policy that prohibits such a change. The gun comes without a breech strap installed, but ships with four optional breech straps (two medium and two large breech straps, with and without beavertail). The strap holder is used as a tool to remove and install the pin.

Fbi Glock 17m Sale: Lipsey's Exclusive Gen 5 9mm Now Available The Firearm Blog

Looking at the underside of the grip, you'll notice not only the aforementioned cutout for removing jammed magazines, but also a slightly flared magazine to help reload faster. allowing you to slip home instead of getting infected.

Scopes are always a bit personal, but I quite like the Amariglo scopes that came with my 17M. They're slightly smaller than the Trigicon HDs I've used before and feature a large orange dot on the front with a black reverse and three tritium inserts for low-light shooting. I've shot the 17M in lighting conditions from daylight to near-darkness and haven't encountered any situations where it was difficult to buy mirrors. Orange or tritium are always visible, and sometimes you can see a bit of both. Ameriglo sights are just one of three factory scope options available for the Gen 5 Glock 17. The pistol can also be purchased with simple three-dot night sights or Glock's standard OEM sights.

When Ameriglo scopes are used, the light gaps on either side of the front sight are wider than "regular" Glock sights. This can make precision work a bit more challenging, but the tradeoff is very fast sight acquisition. When I first got this gun the rear sight was not quite centered causing the gun to shoot 1 inch to the left at 10 yards. After a friend fired the gun to confirm the issue was a sight issue and not operator error, I moved the rear sight and it now shoots consistently across the front sight.

Glock G17m

The 17M is capable of greater accuracy than I have been able to obtain thus far. In controlled tests from a mechanical mount, these weapons are capable of firing groups of less than 2 inches at 25 yards. Several examples were less than 1" at 25 yards using the factory 147-grain bullets, and the best example I know of shot 0.76". That's pretty impressive for a utility pistol and well within the accuracy requirements of a service pistol. Although understanding the “why” of the increased accuracy is well beyond my skill set, I was told that the new Glock Marksman Barrel includes improvements to lock consistency, as well as changes to the multiples that led to this increased accuracy.

G17 Images, Stock Photos & Vectors

The trigger is very smooth - a world of difference from the grit and wear of my old Gen 2 and an improvement over even the decent trigger of the Gen 4. It feels similar to the Robar NP3 coated trigger - no grit at all, It feels like the pieces slide on contact, not scratch. The trigger is so good that I had to go back and dry fire it to really focus on the feel and do my best to describe it. Pulling the trigger starts with a smooth recovery before the trip, a bit of build up when you're near the break, an expected break, then ends with a clean restart. It does what it's supposed to do so well that you don't really have to think about what it's doing, it's just invisible. While "acceptable" is my usual adjective for a factory Glock trigger, the trigger pull on the 17M is pretty good. A friend of mine who is a Glock gunsmith capable of doing a very good aftermarket trigger job with them, shot my 17M and immediately declared it the best factory trigger he had ever felt on a Glock. Our experience levels with various Glocks are at opposite ends of the spectrum, so when we both agree, I think it's safe to say you'll love the new trigger.

Of course, Glock's latest design retains the trigger tab, an integral part of maintaining fall safety in Glock's "Safe Action" design. Because the tab is moving in a different plane than the clamp, a drop cannot exert enough inertia on both to allow the clamp to move backwards. The only change I can see to any "safe action" component is the firing pin safety plunger. It is now wedge-shaped and larger.

Other differences in the slider assembly are a stronger tab for the recoil spring assembly and the recoil assembly spring itself is longer. While the 9mm isn't known for being a recoil-heavy round to begin with, the Glock RSA does a very good job of it.

Glock sights, nerf glock, glock lock, glock holster, key glock, glock holsters, orient g17m, glock pdf, g17m glock, glock drawing, glock tattoo, pellet glock

 

Recent Posts